BQ or bust

It's taper time. I dropped down to 58 this week and plan on running around 35ish this week. No more than 12 miles next week – around 3 days. It worked for Big Sur. I toed the line feeling fresh and completely charged. I’ll attempt to do that again.

I've put in some serious training over the last 14 weeks. I have dragged myself from bed hungover and on less than 4 hours of sleep to stamp out 15+ mile runs more times than I wish to count. I have run in 100+ degree weather, 100% humidity, and certifiable monsoons. I have been sunburned, wind burned, drenched and chafed. I have been attacked by poisonous snakes, wild dogs, and a mocking bird. I have been heckled by homeless people, insecure men, overly secure gay men, and the occasional cougar.

But I will start the 2009 San Antonio Rock N’ Roll Marathon with exactly 801 miles logged since August 1st. Although I only have 7 runs of over 15 miles, I have run a total of 32 times over 10. I have averaged 57 miles a week with a weekly high of 77. For Big Sur, I averaged fewer than 26 and never ran more than 44 miles in one week. I ran only 3 total runs of 15 miles or more and only 10 runs over 10 miles. It was enough to land me a 3:27:58 in windy, hilly conditions.

I have switched from the Brooks Ghost to the Brooks Launch. They weigh approximately 3 ounces lighter. They own a more minimal construction. They are brighter. Faster. I have also stopped wearing shorts over my tights (‘compression shorts’ when I’m explaining what I’m wearing to non-runners). Free is better. I will switch from the Mizuno Creation singlet to the ’09 Adidas adizero singlet (red). The only difference is that the Adidas singlet doesn’t retain water quite as much as the Mizuno does. The other accessories don’t matter much. Socks are the same.

I’m attempting to qualify for the 2010 Boston Marathon. As far as I know, I am the first in my family to do so. My Dad came close in 1987 with a spectacular 3:22:11 debut, but fell just short of the required time of 3:15. He did this in San Antonio on a very similar course. I don’t think he even gave thought to Boston. He just ran. That’s what runners did back then. I plan to do the same, but I need to run 5 minutes faster. I need a 3:10. This requires that I average no slower than 7:17 per mile. My goal is to average anywhere from 7:05 – 7:12 pace. I want to open up with a sub 1:34 half marathon, and then finish with a sub 1:33. These are my times. This is my goal.

Let’s do this thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment