Brooks Ghost 2 & Launch Review

--Updated from RA log entry--

I tried on the Ghost 2 yesterday at RWS and wasn't thrilled with the updates. For starters, Brooks decided it would be a great idea to beef up the arch support from the original Ghost. Although my left foot felt fine, there was a marked “lack of room” in my right foot as the insole pushed into my arch. In their bid to get a more “secure” fit, I think they tried too hard. Changing out different insoles, however, would most likely fix the problem. The heel was also slightly raised. It’s not terribly noticeable, but it’s there. The front section of the foot received even more attention: increased forefoot cushioning coupled with a flared out toe box (due to complaints of the shoes’ narrowness).

The color way, however, is awesome; I never turn down yellow and black in a shoe. The hydroflow is still there if you need it and the Biomogo sole is a nice update (improves your footprint both literally [“Ghost” is written on the bottom] and figuratively [i.e. carbon]).

Conclusion: It's definitely "more of a shoe.” Some will appreciate the updates yet others, like me, could do without them. I will more than likely continue to buy up the discounted Ghost 1 until it becomes too difficult to find.

--Launch--

The other shoe I had RWS order was the new Launch. Billed as the true replacement for the Brooks Burn (legendary shoe), I was itching to get into a pair. I was afraid my enthusiasm wouldn’t hold up to reality, but I was pleasantly surprised.

First off, the Launch lacks certain elements that has made the Ghost it’s beefier, i.e., more expensive, brother: no DRB Accel (medial support), no forefoot Hydroflow, Cush pod construction in the forefoot (as opposed to Hyper pod), air mesh (as opposed to ‘element mesh’) and different sockliner. I was unaware of all these details when I slipped them on for the first time, but it was obvious this was not simply a cheaper, lighter version of the Ghost – I had stepped into the reincarnation of the Burn. Like the Burn, they initially felt soft, especially when simply walking in the store. I was surprised, however, to discover how immediately responsive they became when I jogged in them. I decided to pick up a pair.

I went on a 9.5-miler around an hour after purchasing them. Out of the box, they were perfect. Still a bit softer than the last several models I’ve run in, but a very sound shoe. I was surprised how similar they were to the Brooks Burn 3 (got new and cheap off eBay, but I can’t use them on account they are too small). Similar to the Ghost 2, the toe box was expanded to placate wider feet, but this wasn’t a problem. After a warm-up mile, I started to drop the pace and they responded accordingly. Like the Ghost 1, the lowered ride height promotes a mid-foot strike, which is natural for me. The grip is a bit better than the G1s on concrete and asphalt, but I didn’t get a chance to try it out on a wet surface (the G1 is notorious for having poor traction in these conditions).

The color way can only be described as Flash Gordon (almost striking similar blend of red and orange). I assume there will be a lot of people who will consider these “ugly” or “loud,” but I have no qualms about making a statement with my fashion choices – I just have to back it up with an equivalent performance.

Conclusion: Comfortable, cushioned, light and cheap (when compared with Brooks’ other line-up). It’s responsive when I want to go fast and accommodatingly soft when I don’t. I look forward to putting some more miles and different workouts on these. Perhaps I might even live up to Gordon’s call sign.

3 comments:

Ryu's Blog said...
July 5, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Howdy!!
Check out my run!!
Use the player on the top right, to see real time stats.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/8576868

Matt said...
September 22, 2009 at 10:49 AM

How do you feel the widths compare with the 2 shoes, I have the G2 and am lookin at the Launch but dont want a narrower shoe.

Great review!! thanks

par said...
November 11, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Very late response -- I apologize. The Launch is roomier in the toe box than the G1 or G2. The midfoot wrap feels as secure as the G1, and that was the only thing I was really concerned about.

I am already on my third pair of the Launch. Looking to work in the T6 fairly soon for some half marathons. I will make sure to add a review when I get in some proper mileage.

-PAR

Post a Comment