japan diaries - vol. 4

Although I continue to wake up at 5:30 every morning, I have decided to run only every other day. Yesterday was a good day to run. So I ran. M joined me behind on the bike recently dropped off by her aunt. Herself a runner of over three marathons. We started on the same route and although it was M's intention to show me around, I led for the first three miles. I took her through the side streets that I discovered on my first run, which eventually led us past her grandmother's haka. We stopped to wash the stone and the offering cups. And pray.
It took only another 5 or so minutes of running along the river to reach the large toori gate. This time M helped me capture it's size. Only two and a half miles into the run, though. I was craving distance. We decided to turn around and run to the Miwa temple. The route became decidedly historic and the houses aged the closer we drew. The last 1000 meters were uphill. M and I raced. I won.
The temple grounds were much larger than I had imagined. Not only was the main temple impressive, but the surrounding grounds were also noteworthy. I love these places. The smell of pine. Incense. Architecture completely devoid of plaster and cheap materials. The sound of walking on crushed stone. Echoes of a steel bell. The residue of history.
After several pictures and a well-timed bathroom break -- thank the gods -- we decided to continue the run. M's uncle had told us that her grandpa would be on one of his farm lands this morning. As they were not spaced too terribly far from one another, we decided to run/bike to each one. The first plot was only two miles away. We started down the hill and away from Miwa.
More pictures of the temple and surrounding area:
M was not too sure of the location of the first plot. Still, after about five minutes of searching in the area she was certain of we found it. He was not there. Which was not much of a problem. The next plot was less than a mile away. I forgot to mention, I was running low 7-minute miles by this time and feeling great. The run, surprisingly, was not a main focus.
Found. We looked across the length of field to see M's grandpa working in a squat. He had his back to us. With his poor hearing, we were going to have to make our way across the field. As we approached, M called out. He didnt hear the initial attempt, but the second one was successful. In fact, Im sure there was at least one other grandpa in the area that turned around. She was intent.
You sure did well to find me! he exclaimed from behind a beaming smile. He loves his granddaughter and she does he. All the way out here, come come! I've got some great tomatoes and cucumbers for you.
Before we even reached the spot where he was working, he was busy collecting items to give to us. Like my grandpa, he will never know that the greatest gift is himself. His love. But we took his offerings just the same. He immediately went to collect items from his bike. Still riding at 87.
Here, here. Lots of cucumbers. They are really good for you.
But we can't take all of these. There are over twenty!
Oh yeah? Hmm. Well take them anyway. Just throw away what you cant eat.
Grandpa!!
Logic will always find defeat in the arena of kindness. M took eight. He then sat down in his tomato garden and began picking the ones that were ripe. He carefully selected them. M squatted next to him and kept him company. We then received a tour of his plot. Azuki beans, watermelon, cucumbers, cantelope. There were much more planted, but my understanding of Japanese food stuffs is weak. There were also insects I had never seen as well.
After promising to watch some Sumo and show up to a farmers event on Friday we left. He did as well. M couldnt have been happier. We set a course for home and I started clicking off some really fast splits. We stopped at a convenience store and picked up breakfast. Another great run.
More pictures:

1 comments:

Unknown said...
July 15, 2009 at 9:52 AM

MAN! What a great experience! Are you going to back to those temples when you're not running balls out? Are they open to the public like Catholic churches (but please note the offering station)? M's grandpa sounds and actually looks so much like ours. I'm glad M could get back to see and be with them again. That's important.

And those bugs are wicked! The one in your hand looks like that ancient sea creature that left more fossils than anything else.

Keep up the good work. The posts are a delight to read.

Post a Comment