japan diaries - vol. 5

Yesterday we went to Osaka. The drive was pretty much non-descript. A couple of toll roads, a bridge or two, lots of small cars, and then a sprawling metropolis home to millions of people living obscenely close together. Par for the course. As it was approaching lunch time, we made our way directly to the sushi restaurant. This was the main reason we were in town. We drove to the dock where fish is unloaded and processed. The air was thick with the smell of fish oil and salt water. The building that housed the restaurant was an architectural hiccup. I didnt even notice it until we parked nearly 20 feet away. I assumed a wrong turn had been made and we were using the parking lot as a turn around. Not so.

The entrance was adequate. There was room for 8-10 people to sit against the wall and only 6 people at the bar. There were 7 patrons when we entered and it never dropped below that. We ordered some beer and their omakase option. They choose what we eat. It started with 5 pieces. Followed by another 5. And then followed by, you guessed it, 5 more. I have never had more than 10 pieces of sushi, but by the end of the last plate, I wanted 15 more. Needed 15 more. Incredible. I have had sushi many times in my life, but I have never had that. Given the large number of autographs from celebrities, sports stars, and even sumo rikishi that decorate the walls, I assume I am not alone. I have a picture of me after the event.

M's dad then dropped us off downtown and M and I went shopping. We first went below ground and shopped in a place called Namba City. There was a Paul Smith store where the shoes were too small and the jeans too tight. I picked up some underwear and am wearing them now. Too tight. We then walked to the 5-story shopping mecca called Namba Parks. I found a lot of things I would have liked to make mine, but staying consistent with theme that is Japanese fashion -- too small. M picked up some Birkenstocks, I picked up a Porter purse for myself (me stealing the thunder from someone who will undoubtedly make this comment when I return) and some Japan-edition Levi 501 jeans. I like the color, and the fact it was half off, but they need work. I plan to sand them down and get them a bit more worn. Good color.

After a tako yaki dinner and some beers, we decided to go to the Pachinko parlor again. I understand no one wins all the time, but I have yet to be witness to that. We walked into a crowded room and took a seat at the older Sea Story boards. M and I were just not lucky. Before we knew it, we had burned through $200. M's dad was not having any more luck either. Down $150. M abandoned her board and moved to another machine, but I stuck with mine. Patience. M's dad slipped into her chair and decided to put in another $100. He got down to only $20 left when I had exhausted my board. We were down nearly $500. That's a lot of jackpots necessary just to break even. He then told me to use all the remaining money in his board and left to find another machine. Find some luck in the joint. With only $10 left, I hit the first jackpot of the night. Its an odd number, so that guarantees another jackpot. I hit another odd. And then another. And then an even, but it turned into an odd. And this continues for the better part of 2 hours. 14 total jackpots. $770. After we split the earnings, I pocket $100. Sweet.

Another run this morning. 5:15am. Sun already risen for the better part of 20 minutes. I started along the path I always run and felt good. Great. I dropped the pace and hit a 7:40 opening mile. I continued with the speed session and strung multiple sub 7-minute splits. Breathing was paced. I followed the alleyway route and listened to the slaps of my shoes echo along narrow corridors. Water flowing from an unknown location to an unknown location. With purpose. Bellows of bullfrogs along the river. Crickets singing to one another. I forgot how accommodating nature could be in such an urban sprawl.

9.5 miles. 1 hour 8 minutes.

M's sister arrives later tonight. We plan to eat and drink a lot. Enjoy ourselves. Finding it more and more difficult not to do this. In no particular order.

0 comments:

Post a Comment